FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JUNE 12, 2020
Mermell Releases Comprehensive Vision for Equitable Education System
BROOKLINE – Jesse Mermell today released a plan for ensuring a well-funded, equitable system of public education across the nation – from early education through graduate school – calling it critical that Congress prioritize justice and reinvest in and reinvigorate our public schools.
It is the most comprehensive plan for education from any candidate in the race for Massachusetts’ Fourth Congressional District and one of eight plans Mermell has released since launching her campaign eight months ago.
With COVID-19 upending traditional education and devastating local budgets, Mermell promised to work collaboratively with educators, local officials, parents, community members, and policymakers to achieve equitable outcomes for all.
“Public education is vital to our democracy and key to addressing our country’s social, economic and racial inequities,” said Mermell. “COVID-19 has exacerbated these already deep inequities in our education system, and my plan lays out key steps to ensure that our students, educators, and administrators have the support and tools necessary to begin to bridge those gaps.”
The plan lays out policies Mermell would support in Congress to achieve the following goals:
- Investing in a quality, public school education for all students.
- Ensuring every student can succeed.
- Substantially increasing the educator workforce.
- Supporting our educators.
- Expanding access to early childhood education.
- Providing for the social and emotional wellbeing of our students.
- Eliminating high-stakes testing.
- Making higher education affordable and accessible for all.
- Providing immediate debt relief to students.
- Fighting privatization.
- Expanding vocational opportunities.
- Passing common sense gun safety reforms so that every classroom is safe from gun violence.
The full plan can be read here.